The house is quiet again. The morning rush hour is over, the kids are safely (I hope) settled into school and my husband is tucked neatly behind his office desk. Oh yes the joy of being a stay at home mom. I am so “lucky” I can just sit around and do nothing for the rest of the day and wait for everyone to come back at the end of their day. In the meantime what should I do? Perhaps drive around town in my new Lexus, get my hair and nails done at the salon, buy a new outfit, book the family vacation, and lunch with the girls. NOT!
I can’t count how many times I have heard “you are so lucky to be able to stay home.” I want to scream in reply that it isn’t luck that has allowed me to stay at home. I CHOSE to give up my career to raise our children, I didn’t win the stay at home lottery. With that choice came a great deal of sacrifice.
However, if you continue to believe it is a matter of luck let me give you your ticket for the STAY-AT-HOME-MOM lottery. Good luck!
Please don’t get me wrong, I am happy with the choices I have made. I wouldn’t exchange my time with my kids for any amount of money but it wasn’t always easy. Through our sacrifices my husband and I have been able to carve out a comfortable life for our family and we now have some of those extras that we once had to forgo. All I ask is that instead of looking at me and saying “wow you are lucky” look at me and say “wow you’ve worked hard to raise your family.” It is the same respect I give you when I admire your promotion or your ability to balance your career and family.
What we do in life is not about luck, it is a choice.
All right , it’s time for me to go out and buy a lottery ticket. Obviously this is my lucky week…I’ve been nominated for yet another award. Here is a great big THANK-YOU to Justbetweencousin for the nomination for the Versatile blogger award. I am completely overwhelmed. I really believed I was blogging into an over crowded electronic world with my words being lost into the vast black hole of the cyber space. To realize that someone is reading what I have wrote and actually appreciating it is truly overwhelming. If only I could get my family to listen to my wordsand appreciate what I say I be over the moon. Maybe they would even nominate me for the Versatile Mom Award. Now would be cool, but an even bigger long shot than winning the lottery.
So as most award nomination go I have to follow a few basic rules. I have always been a rule follower anyway so this isn’t too bad (except the part about finding 15 bloggers to nominate, as a new blogger this may be difficult, but I’m up for the challenge).
Rules for the Versatile Blogger
- Thank the person and/or blog for the nomination!… Once again, thank-you to justbetweencousins for the nomination.
- Share 7 Facts about yourself
- Nominate 15 Blogs/Bloggers that I follow
Seven Facts About Me:
- I’m a middle-aged mom (yes I am claiming the term middle-age even though I’m stretching the boundaries)
- I have been happily (most of the time) married for almost 22 years…yes people still do that
- I have three teenagers and I still love them (that can be quite an accomplishment in and of itself)
- I have moved eight times between two countries and three states (I’m getting too old for that now I have recently learned)
- I spend my summers in our cottage in Ontario, Canada where I get to spend time with my parents, sisters, nieces and nephews
- I love to be creative and if I find spare time I make jewelry, enjoy photography and paint in acrylics
- I didn’t even know what a blog was four months ago but have fallen in love with it and have three blogs on the go right now (always did jump into everything head first)
Fifteen Blogger’s I Follow:
I have a wide range of interests so my list of bloggers that I am nominating is going to be just as “Versatile” as my interests, please note there is no special order to my list. I love them all just the same (just like my kids). Some of you may be surprised by the nomination because I am often a silent follower (my kids call it being a creeper) I have tried to go back and push the follow button as I forgot how important that can be to your blog (still learning here people, sorry)
- All things boys
- Colline’s Blog
- The Blue Brick
- The Irisl and the Lily
- Rules By The Meanest Mommy In The Whole Wide World
- Manipal’s Photo Blog
- A Gurlz Guide
- Coach Billlmore
- Friend For the Ride
- Vicky.. The Northern Chicky
- Jenny’s Serendipity
- Stop. Breath. Action
Well there you go, I did it! It is a good thing I am very lucky this week, because I am going to need some of that luck to help me catch up on my studying and other daily chores I have let go to wayside accepting my nominations. Oh well, off I go to buy a lottery ticket, if all goes well I can post a blog that I just won Power Ball (will I have to pass it on to fifteen people?)